- Weighted Voronoi Stippling
- Painterly Rendering
- mustache.js improved
- Entropy Solitaire
- Tone Preservation with Ice Crystal Growth
Thanks to some modifications made by Davin Potts, Voronoi Stippler now works on Linux. I will not be maintaining binary versions for the Linux version, but they can be compiled from source easily enough using the provided makefile. In addition, these changes should allow the application to be compiled under Mac OS X, but since I do not have a Mac, I cannot verify this (anybody interested in verifying this?)
I’ve completed an update to the Voronoi Stippler application that greatly speeds up the generation of stippled renderings regardless of the number of stipples. It does this by removing the usage of OpenGL across the application, and being smarter about the resolution of the numerical integration of Voronoi centroids. It also uses OpenMP to parallelize the rendering algorithm. Much much much faster than the previous release. Check it out.
A long needed update to the DSGrab applet is available. The biggest change for v1.5.0 is that it now supports YU* colour modes for capture devices, which should make the program a lot more compatible. I’ve also made it a little more user friendly by having the applet choose sensible defaults wherever possible (and removed some questionable options like choice of colour bit depth). The update fixes the following issues which are outlined on the GitHub project page:
I’ve completed an update to the Voronoi Stippler application that cleans up the resultant output a bit so that the results are a little more aesthetically pleasing across more input images. It also adds the ability to remove tone preservation (constant sized stipples). This should be useful for people who are scripting this program. I’ve also removed the GPU stippler algorithm since it was so brittle and barely worked. This is in preparation for an eventual OpenCL implementation.
Inspired by the interesting things that some folks are doing with the Weighted Voronoi Stippling application, I have updated the executable to be a little more user friendly by being a little more lenient in terms of what command line arguments the executable accepts. Before when the application encountered a problem, it would simply bail out without any indication of why to the end user. I have covered most of the common cases and it should be a lot better now. In addition, I have added support for coloured stippling which can give some pretty interesting results.
This is just a beginning though. My first priority now is to retool the stippling landing page to be a little more about end-user usage, as opposed to the more butchered academic article that is there now. Following that, I am going to drop the dependency on OpenGL and optimize the application to work with multiple cores. I figure, I should be able to match the speed of the current GPU based implementation across a wider swatch of PCs. This should make it easy to port to other platforms (Linux, OpenGL), and even out performance. Right now the performance of the application is atrocious on lower end laptops because of limited bandwidth between the graphics processor and CPU.
Interesting times are ahead.